Thursday, August 14, 2008

Banking on Gold.

The men’s football team is running hard with the ball. With their draw out match against the Netherlands on August 7th, their victory over Japan on August 10th in Tianjing, China, and today’s triumph over America, there is hope for Olympic medals yet for Nigeria.

Yet our strongest and most promising teams are the Nigerian athletic groups under the instructions of Nigeria’s heavily decorated athlete- Innocent Egbunike and former African champion Pat Itanyi.

Amongst the long list of shining athletes are Olusoji Fasuba, Adetoye Durotoye, Blessing Okagbare, Uchenna Emechulu and the fastest female sprinter in Africa-Damola Osayomi. Arriving in Beijing from South Korea on Sunday August 10th, Damola is determined to make the finals of the 100m races and if anyone can do it, Osayomi can. Although this is Osayomi’s first time at the Olympic games, she is undaunted by the other more experienced athletes who have competed in the Olympics in the past. “I am aware that this is my first time at the Olympics, but I am not intimidated by the big names that I will be competing against”.

Unlike their counterparts from other countries, the Nigerian athletic teams have had little practice together particularly their baton exchange for the relay games. Unmoved, Damola says they have the time they need to perfect their exchange if they follow the instruction of their coach- Innocent Egbunike. “If we dwell on the problems, we will not be able to focus on winning. At the end of the day, I win not only for my country but for myself as well, and it is my name that will be written down in the history books. If I focus on the game and listen to my coach, I am confident that I will make the finals.” says Damola.

Innocent’s name is engraved in sports history at and abroad. He was the best quarter miler in Africa and the world in the 80s and 90s and won the first Olympic medal by an African athlete. Egbunike was also a world champion as well as African record holder. He trained the first Nigerian team to win a relay gold medal at the Sydney 2000 Olympics and today he trains American athlete Angelo Taylor.

The athletic Olympic games begin on Friday August 15th in Beijing and with our dream team and our “ not so innocent” coach, Nigeria is banking on gold.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ebun! Nice to see your articles coming in. I am particularly excited about athletic events, where Nigeria has a chance maybe not in making the numers but certainly to make impact!
Suggest you consider one more report on say the middle & long distance running events, with a focus on women & their improvement/focus/determination/professionalism/resilience.
Regds
Baldeep

NAGODE INDUSTRIES LIMITED said...

Telepathy Baldeep. This is what I worked on between yesterday and today. The photos you see in the faster than a speeding bullet post were taken inside the heavily guarded games village. A mean feat if I do say so myself.

More to come.

Unknown said...

I want the Nigerian football team to keep up their good work and win us the gold medal in the football games.
Suggest the football team should not get over excited until we have the gold medal in our hands as they seem to be our only hope for a medal now.

Regards
Albert

NAGODE INDUSTRIES LIMITED said...

I agree Albert, we are keeping a close eye on them.

Anonymous said...

Checkout Wizkids Top Ten Songs Of All Time
Top Artistes In Nigeria – 2020/2021
Top Naija Songs Download